Written By: Lindsey Thompson
From the studio, to lectures, to council meetings, to rehearsals, to work… us dancers carry A LOT of things with us in a day! How do we possibly do it? Different dancers have different methods, but I’m going to uncover what I keep in my dance bag on a daily basis, and how I manage to bring it all with me. Hopefully it’ll give you some ideas and help you with your own bags!
First off, I don’t just carry one dance bag – I actually carry two bags with me to help keep things divided. I have a small over-the-shoulder duffle for all things dance related, and a mini backpack where I store my laptop and notebooks. Having smaller sized bags prevents me from over packing, which is definitely a skill that is necessary when you’re moving around all day. I also have a locker on campus where I can store one of my bags when I don’t need it with me.
My Dance Bag
• Pink polka dot bag: First Aid Kit
• Flexi stretcher: Superior stretching and stretching method! Perfect for warm-up
• Thera-Band: Full length elastic band for resistance training, also helps with technique during class. I put mine across my back and hold it in both hands during ballet. This really helps to activate my arms more!
• Ballet slippers: A necessity; I usually keep an extra pair of socks in here, too.
• Bullet journal: My way of keeping my life together!
• Dance journal: I write down any corrections I get in class. Post-class reflections have really helped me solidify ideas I discover during class.
• Pencil case: Full of colourful markers and pens to keep my bullet and dance journals fun and playful!
• Water bottle: life necessity
*Additionally, I normally have a ball in my bag to help release my muscles, but I’ve recently lost it and am currently looking to buy a new one… Recommendations, anyone?
My First Aid Kit
- Hair elastics
- Bobby pins
- Feminine hygiene products
- Body lotion
- Pill case: Advil, tums, non-drowsy gravol, allergy medication, Halls, personal prescriptions
- Athletes tape
- KT tape
- Alcohol swabs
- Lip balm
- Nail clippers
- Emery board/nail file
- Emergency contact card
- Saje products that I enjoy: “Arrive Revived” (alertness spray), “Quick Study” aromatherapy blend to help with focus, and “Restoral”, which helps with skin irritants.
My Mini Bag
4. Sometimes my thermos full of tea!
I hope this helps you out when you’re packing for a full day at school. I would also love to hear what’s in your bag! How do you guys do it? Post a pic and hashtag #whatsinmybag